[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Ubuntu-cy - Ubuntu Linux - Cyprus Local Community Team • View topic - New member says Hello

New member says Hello

Just a few words about you...

New member says Hello

Postby meidei » Wed May 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi guys (and girls?). Good to see that there's a linux community here in Cyprus.
I am a Linux user, altho I run Fedora, not Ubuntu and the reason I switched away from Windows were more on the philosophical side, rather than the technical. I am pro-libre culture and I support freer copyright licenses - mainly Creative Commons, I find DRM and extreme patenting absurd and I am concerned about digital freedom in general.
I was looking for a community that shares these views to some extend, and a friend send me a link for this forum.
meidei
Forum newbie

Re: New member says Hello

Postby theo » Wed May 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Welcome to the community meidei! You will find the most of us share the same feelings here in respect to the Free culture and the implications of copyright, patents etc. Enjoy the ride!

Even though we have the label ubuntucy we are quite active (online at least :)) and support all the distributions.

Do you use linux in your professional environment as well or only at home?
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby charizan » Wed May 25, 2011 3:53 pm

welcome to the community meidei!
It's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!
charizan
Guru

Postby meidei » Wed May 25, 2011 4:41 pm

meidei
Forum newbie

Postby theo » Thu May 26, 2011 8:08 am

Is this a public school? If yes then having edubuntu is good news (even though they do not use it)! Can you find out how Edubuntu got there? Did it came preinstalled from the Ministry of Education or it was just the initiative of a concerned teacher?

In regards to "nobody is using it" we can give presentations about linux and the free software culture if they are interested.
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby meidei » Thu May 26, 2011 11:41 am

Yep, public high school school in Frenaros.
It's preinstalled by the MoEC in all the new computers (bought in 2011Q1). Dualboot Windows Seven and Edubuntu.
The GRUB screen has the logo of the MoEC and there are greek apps installed (which come from Greece's Ministry of Education repository, or so I guess).

A presentation would be an excellent idea, but I don't know if they are really interested. I don't really know the IT professors well, after all.
meidei
Forum newbie

Postby kostis » Tue May 31, 2011 3:14 pm

Welcome to the community meidei :)
kostis
Forum newbie

Postby ArisVer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Welcome.
I am also a new member. The reason i went linux is that it is more stable, and the free software issues, but also bare in mind that a computer costs and your connection costs. It is possible to use a completely free operating system, but there are many non-free applications that you may need.
ArisVer

Postby sotos_ubu » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:59 pm

Hello and welcome...
Υπάρχουν 10 ειδών άνθρωποι. Αυτοί που καταλαμβαίνουν το δυαδικό
σύστημα και αυτοί που δεν το καταλαμβαίνουν.
sotos_ubu
Advanced Member

Postby demas » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:41 am

Welcome to the community meidei :!: ;)
Our Portfolio: | | |
Hosted by Us: |
demas
How much time you spend in here?

Next

Return to Introduce yourself...