[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Ubuntu-cy - Ubuntu Linux - Cyprus Local Community Team • View topic - Light Debian

Light Debian

Discussion and help related with Debian Linux...

Re: Light Debian

Postby marstop » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:36 am

Guys if you wish to use a light debian distro may I suggest voyage linux ? . It supports apt-get and dpkg package installations so you can pretty much set it to do anything you wish. I am now trying to teach it to make frappe ( medium no milk ) :ugeek:
marstop
Forum Active member

Postby theo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:41 pm

Yet another light distro. It is called and it is based on PCLinuxOS.

Min Specs:

Pentium I processor.
64 MB of RAM.
200 MB in a Hard Disk. 2 GB will be much better for future applications into the system.
While TinyMe is usable at 640×480, 800×600 is a much better. Note.- That with TinyMe, 800×600 is a very comfortable resolution.
CD-Rom.

http://www.linux.com/feature/149918
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby avr_freak » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:27 pm

Μπορείς να δοκιμάσεις μια slackware based disto όπως το Vector Linux για παράδειγμα http://vectorlinux.com/ . Το σλόγκαν του είναι "At the speed of the light" ... :D

Hardware Requirements (Standard Edition):Pentium 200 or better, 96 MB RAM, 2.1 GB hard drive space for system only, more for your data.

PS: Το έχω εγκαταστήσει σε ένα Pentium II 333Mhz 384MB (3 x 128MB) Ram και 8MB Κάρτα γραφικών (SiS 6326).
avr_freak
Expert Forum Member

Postby theo » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:56 pm

I have installed lxde in an old Laptop I have around with 2.4 GHz and 256 RAM. Not only it is a very elegant desktop it is also very fast! I am impressed.
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby theo » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:36 pm

It does shows its sid heritage though! If you start lxterminal, log in as root (su -) and then close the terminal the screen goes black and you have to restart X. This does not happen with xterm. Nevertheless I am beginning to enjoy it and intend to spend more time with it.

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby medigeek » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:00 pm

medigeek
How much time you spend in here?

Postby avr_freak » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:48 pm

medigeek, just like Arch i think ? The Basic installation is about 200MB and the rest are downloaded from the Internet ...
avr_freak
Expert Forum Member

Postby medigeek » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:00 pm

Precisely! But the debian is much more stable (personal opinion), I tried arch and failed to find my network :\
Anyway, here is the actual sizes of arch and debian "mini" net installs:
308M archlinux-2008.06-core-i686.img (I think this was for usb flash drives)
291M archlinux-2008.06-core-i686.iso (cd/dvd)

160M debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso (I know, there's 4.0r5 but I've upgraded from the network :) )
medigeek

Postby theo » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:06 am

For those still on diet :) here's another light distribution based on Ubuntu and Openbox:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby demas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:16 am

Or you may try a distro you can accomplished with a small 256MB HDD.And you notice one more thing here.You may boot this from your usb drive if it is applicable to do so.
Our Portfolio: | | |
Hosted by Us: |
demas

PreviousNext

Return to Debian